Estate Planning, Real Estate, Business Law, Family Law
Our firm serves you with versatile expertise in a number of important practice areas such as:
- Estates and trusts - estate planning, wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, living wills and powers of attorney, estate administration and estate litigation in the event of disputes. See detailed discussion here.
- Real estate - contracts, deeds, title opinions, closings
- Family law - contested and uncontested divorce, property division, alimony, custody, support, modifications, prenuptial agreements
- Business law - from entity formation to business succession and dissolution and everything in between; Collections - including Foreclosures and repossessions. See representative clients.
- Litigation - in the practice areas above
- Workers Compensation
Our attorneys can handle all matters related to the purchase or sale of a home or farm, from the negotiation of terms to the closing. We can prepare or review all necessary documents, including buy-sell agreements, deeds, mortgages, financing instruments, easements, and documents to facilitate tax-free exchanges. We are a member of Iowa Title Guaranty and provide abstract examinations, title opinions, and owner and lender Guaranty certificates.
Sweet & Hartman, PLC can help you set up a business and work with you to select the business form that is right for you. We also negotiate, draft and review contracts that may be necessary for your commercial enterprise's success.
Our lawyers and staff understand that some issues in family law can be very emotionally charged, such as custody and visitation, and we try hard to be supportive of our clients while addressing their legal issues. We work with the client to develop appropriate custody solutions, including sole physical custody or joint physical custody.
Marital assets and debts are reviewed, and practical solutions are suggested to divide these fairly between the parties. We will work hard to resolve your case by stipulated settlement, but when a fair settlement cannot be reached, we will guide you through the trial process, including identifying and interviewing witnesses, identifying and retaining experts, engaging in discovery, preparing you thoroughly for trial, and presenting an effective case at trial. Where appropriate, we will pursue contempt applications for violation of court orders, and modifications when circumstances have changed and new orders should be entered. At all times, we try to handle your case in a cost efficient manner.
We prepare business, individual and fiduciary income tax returns, and assist clients with tax disputes.